Tuesday, January 21, 2014

The Phantom

I do everything in my power
to keep my mind occupied
and away from the subject of you.
Despite doing my best
to minimize the risk of feeling
sick with emptiness,
overcome with anger,
dissolved in loneliness,
somehow you sneak in,
every other moment or so
and every night as I lay down to sleep.
I miss the smell of you
and the way you walk
with gentle strength that drives me wild.
I miss the thought of you
coming in while I sleep
and lying down beside me,
scooping me into your arms.
I miss your warmth,
your quiet breathing in the dark,
and your morning eagerness.
Maybe sleep will get you off my mind,
but likely I'll dream of you,
as I've been known to do,
and there you'll be,
in my thoughts, when I wake.

2 comments:

  1. Michelangelo's teacher quit painting cause he realized he could never be as good him. You are starting to make me feel the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its really hard to be the mother of the tortured yet gifted poet....

    ReplyDelete