Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Excerpt - Good Morning

"Hey"
Six weeks.
I hadn't seen the man in six weeks and I get "hey."
"Hey" I replied.
He sat stiffly in a wooden rocking chair by the fire as I hung my coat by the door and shook the remaining snowflakes from my damp hair.
He looked... tired. I mean he looked fucking incredible, but he looked about ready to collapse.
I didn't bother brushing the gray, melting chunks of ice off my boots. I brought them to the hearth and set them in the warmth of the low flames.
Then I turned to face my husband.
He stood.
For a heartbeat, we simply stared. After everything that had happened, and with all that still lay before us, there was something strange there in the space between us...
We ignored it.
My arms clambered up around his huge shoulders, hands impatiently burrowing into his hair as I pulled his lips to mine. His hands were too eager to be gentle as they squeezed my suddenly small body into his as though trying to assimilate my very cells into his own. One hand lifted my ass as I wrapped my legs around his waist. We were a tornado of tears and lust and tongues and fingers that finally touched down in the bedroom.
Suddenly, there was no war, no life or death, no danger or enemies, prophecies or kingdoms, nothing more important than the single celestial being we became.
Then there was sleep.
So much glorious sleep.
We did not break skin-to-skin contact for a moment that night.
I never thought I'd feel it again, the absolute shield of his arms around me, erasing all the rest of the world from my mind, leaving only us... yet here it was.
I woke with a tear. I refused to move. Instead, I listened closely to his breath. In and out, deep and steady, showing off that lung capacity I'd always envied. I could feel his heartbeat echoing my own against my skin and tried to sync them. I failed.
I opened my eyes and found a perfect view of his young, but weathered face. The new scar was sexy, but heartbreaking. I couldn't help but think everything that had happened was my fault...
My pessimism made me restless.
I kissed his nose, then his lips, then his neck, just where his strong jaw began, and then began decorating his chest, and really any bit of skin I could reach.
He didn't open his eyes, but tightened his embrace so I couldn't move, and made a small groaning sound as he stretched his long limbs.
"Good morning" I said.
"Mmmmmmmorning" he mumbled in response.

No comments:

Post a Comment