Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sleep

It isn't the sleep I fear,
it is the exhaustion which I know I will fight
when morning comes
and it lays on me like a blanket of snow
heavy and cold
freezing my body into a statue that will never move again.

It isn't the sleep I fear,
It is the closing my eyes for a while
blocking out everything
but the versions of me that live in my head
whispering, manipulating,
trying to turn me into one of them, or get rid of me altogether.

It isn't the sleep I fear,
It is the dream from which I can't escape
trapped in the dark
deep in the recesses of my own mind
vivid and horrifically empty
playing me the worst versions of all my worries like a movie.

I welcome sleep.
It's what sleep is made of that makes me reluctant to lie down and greet it.

No comments:

Post a Comment