Monday, August 7, 2017

Fa(ith/te)

When I was younger
my little cousin tried to explain
as we sat on metal bleachers,
in an attempt to convert me,

"Faith"
she told me
"is trusting 
these benches 
not to collapse
and throw you to the ground"

I told her

"I don't trust them,
I simply accept that I currently 
live in a reality where
they haven't
yet,
so instead of living my life
trusting that the ground will not
crumble
beneath my feet,
I walk
carefully
brusquely
watching the cracks
watching others walking my direction
prepared for disaster

yet

appreciating

every

single

step

because each step
each breath
is a product of the simple luck
that happens to place my consciousness 
in the exact current of fate's rivers
which hasn't killed me
yet

and to me,
that feels like
truth...
like
freedom"

She looked at the benches we sat on
and breathed
a little
slower
a little 
deeper


and smiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment